One of the oldest streets in South Yarra, architecturally Park Street is also said to be the most interesting. One of the earliest subdivisions building began on the west side of Park Street in the early 1850s. By the 1880s during the boom much of the earlier more simple houses were replaced by large houses designed for families. With the convenience of the tram right outside the door it was and still is a perfect location for visiting the city and Toorak. It wasn’t until 1884 that the eastern side of the street was subdivided when Henry Ward Mason’s estate was segmented.

2897_150714113541_491

Park Street is home to some of the most pristine boom style terrace houses in Melbourne, some as high as four storeys so it goes without saying that they are also some of the most desired terrace houses in Melbourne. Elias Cunliff is the man to be thanked for development of these buildings. Whilst many suffered during the depression Cunliff who made his fortune as a jam-maker and grocer wasn’t burdened by the heavy borrowing commitments that caused most in the area to forfeit their properties and he continued to prosper building twelve large houses along Park Street over a twenty year period. Elias lived at number 49 until his death in 1919.

2897_150714114009_166

49 Park Street was the first house to be erected by Cunliff and following his death the pair were purchased by Ada Singman who joined them as guesthouse. They were sold in the 1970’s as a development site but after a huge tussle they were renovated into private houses.

The site of 53 and 55 Park Street originally featured a nine room brick house before it was purchased by Cunliff in 1906. Cunliff allowed his architects some freedom with the design and the two houses that stand today feature some of the best Art Nouveau decorative cement work in Melbourne.

Sitting aside the terraces are a number of other architecturally significant buildings worthy of mention.

“St Margaret’s”

2897_150714114059_387

2-4 Park Street was part of the original estate of Norman Fawkner and designed to take advantage of the view over the park the block of twelve flats was constructed in 1938. Designed by Arthur Plaistead in 1936 the land was originally sold by Williams and Co for the sum of $4,930. Stylised architectural features adorn the Toorak Road and Park Street entrances with the building joined by a round tower at the junction. The interior of the building originally featured inter-house telephone systems, radio points, built in refrigerators and ventilated concealed garbage chutes.

“St Annes”

2897_150714114308_789

On the corner of Park Street and Toorak Road West is St Anne’s, an Art Deco block constructed circa 1935 by leading architect J. Esmond Dorney. The corner allotment was formerly an eighteen room house before being demolished to make way for the building that stands today. Originally known as 7-9 Park Street it was renumbered to 1 Park Street in 1986.

“The Oaks”
At 65 Park Street is “The Oaks”, an imposing two storied Italianate mansion that was built as a superior class boarding house for Elias Cunliff to host visitors staying in Melbourne for special occasions. Beautifully restored “The Oaks” is now home to the highly rated four star Hatton Hotel hatton.com.au

Recent Property Sales up Your Street
66 Park Street South Yarra undisclosed 25th March 2017
2/45 Park Street South Yarra $1,295,000 17th December 2016
13/77 Park Street South Yarra Undisclosed 22nd November 2016

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *