The low-lying land and buildings of Daly Street South Yarra were originally owned by D.B. Daly, a landlord who didn’t spend much time in the area. Daly had a heavy mortgage load and carried out few repairs on the buildings in the area which had become known as a slum. In 1910 the council was forced to declare the houses unfit for habitation and the tenants were forced to vacate, forcing Daly to sell. The area was purchased by Dr Eustace Keogh who submitted plans to revitalise the area.

Between 1911 and 1925 the area was transformed, the street was widened; a few of the houses were restored but most were demolished, the low lying swamp land was drained and eventually reclaimed and Ameilda Crescent was created. This part of South Yarra flourished during the 1920s, the new Church Street Bridge was built, electric trams started running along Chapel Street, a high school was built on Forrest Hill and new businesses set up in the area.

Nearly one hundred years on and the area is again undergoing a revitalisation, The Olsen Hotel which opened on the corner of Chapel Street and Daly Street is known as one of the best in Melbourne and celebratory chef Manu Feildel has recently opened (and then quickly closed) his new restaurant Le Grand Cirque at 21 Daly Street.

Recent Property Sales on Daly Street

619/8 Daly Street South Yarra

411/10 Daly Street South Yarra

$496,000

$465,000

21st September 2016

5th March 2016

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *